Motorola Solutions: Committed to Standards Enabling People to be their Best in the Moments that Matter
As a leader in government and enterprise markets for more than 80 years, Motorola Solutions embraces its longstanding role as an industry trailblazer in global standards. We define, develop, test and deploy next generation technologies as well as provide critical resources that aid the entire industry in driving the “next big idea.” We devote significant time and talent because we recognize that standards make innovation happen faster and act as a catalyst for growth that benefits our customers and the industry as a whole.
Our promise is to help people be their best in the moments that matter by enabling enterprises to prepare for the future of business and by partnering with first responders to drive safer cities and thriving communities. Our standards commitment allows us to fulfill that promise by delivering leading-edge solutions which best serve our customers, define new markets and speed technology adoption. Here are just a few examples that illustrate Motorola’s commitment to standards:
- 3GPP/Private Broadband: We were pivotal in the definition of 4G technology, most notably the Long Term Evolution (LTE) air interface, and have been a leading driver behind the deployment of LTE.
- Interoperability: We support public safety interoperability at the application, device, and network levels among networks provisioned by different vendors.
- Project 25 (P25): We were an early leader in the provision of P25 equipment and our P25 systems have shown successful interoperability with a dozen different P25 radio manufacturers. We also provide a significant amount of essential P25 open standard intellectual property to other vendors royalty free and have invested millions of dollars to establish test labs that we make available for interoperability certification.
- Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA): We have been a driving force, for more than 15 years, in creating and promoting the TETRA European standard. We continue to provide key technical experts, which has enabled interoperability and given the user community a multi-vendor choice.
- Digital Mobile Radio (DMR): We were one of the leading manufacturers involved in developing the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) DMR standard and one of the founding members of the DMR Association where we helped design a cross-industry interoperability testing process. We license intellectual property rights essential to the DMR standards under ETSI terms to all DMR manufacturers.