August 9, 2011
Motorola Solutions, Verizon Wireless Showcase First-of-Its-Kind LTE Public, Private Interoperability Capability at APCO 2011
PHILADELPHIA (APCO, Motorola Solutions Booth # 1221) – Aug. 9, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) and Verizon Wireless are demonstrating interoperability across private LTE to public LTE at APCO 2011.
A police patrol vehicle on display, outfitted with dynamic public safety applications, maintained its live data sessions while seamlessly switching between the Motorola Public Safety LTE network and the commercial Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network. The applications featured on the vehicle include computer aided dispatch, automatic license plate recognition (ALPR) and live surveillance video. With this demonstration, Motorola and Verizon Wireless show their rapid progress in enabling the interoperability demanded in next generation public safety communications by employing standards-based LTE solutions.
- The Motorola and Verizon Wireless alliance enables first responders to realize connectivity to their services on both the Motorola Solutions Public Safety LTE Network and nationwide Verizon Wireless’ 3G/4G network.
- The interoperability demonstration illustrates how LTE-enabled devices can automatically manage sessions for full connectivity between public safety’s Band 14 LTE spectrum and Verizon Wireless’ Band 13 LTE commercial spectrum.
- The demonstration uses the new Motorola VML700 vehicular modem for connectivity and application transparency whether operating on the Private LTE network, or when out of coverage, on the Verizon network.
- Public safety applications are streamed from the police patrol vehicle to a remote, demonstration command center to show how multimedia information can be shared in real-time between dispatchers and responders on the scene.
- In addition to expanded coverage, the Motorola and Verizon Wireless alliance delivers to public safety organizations management and control of their LTE devices, centralized provisioning, nationwide roaming, and site sharing that leverages existing carrier sites for rapid and efficient deployment options.
- Motorola is driving the industry’s most comprehensive next generation public safety communications plan. Leveraging standards-based LTE, Public Safety LTE networks deliver the priority, security and control demanded in critical operations while integrating with mission critical voice and public carrier networks for unprecedented public safety capabilities.
Bob Schassler, senior vice president, Radio Solutions, Motorola Solutions
“This marks a significant achievement since the announcement of Motorola Solutions’ alliance with Verizon only six months ago. The ability to provide full connectivity and demonstrate interoperability between a private and public network provides our public safety customers with expanded coverage and flexibility to manage the overall cost of their network.”
Alex Coleman, vice president, Government and Education, Verizon Wireless
”Public safety is a paramount technology focus for Verizon Wireless. Providing the ability to interoperate between public LTE and private LTE will bring tremendous benefits to the public safety community, and this capability represents a significant milestone toward achieving their goals.”
Website: Next Generation Public Safety
Releases: Motorola Verizon Alliance
Facebook: Motorola Public Safety
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 106.3 million total wireless connections, including 89.7 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 83,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts