May 25, 2011
Motorola Solutions to Supply Spanish Airline Iberia with an Advanced TETRA Communications Network
MADRID, Spain – May 25, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), the world’s leading provider of mission-critical communications solutions, today announces that it has been awarded a contract to provide Iberia, Spain’s leading airline, with an advanced TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio) digital radio system. With the deployment of the TETRA Dimetra IP Compact infrastructure, radio communications, both indoor and outdoor, will be greatly improved for the staff of Iberia working in different areas of the airport in Madrid.
Motorola will deploy its Dimetra IP Compact solution in collaboration with its partner Amper Sistemas. The improved IP-based TETRA solution provides a highly flexible and scalable architecture that supports voice and data services as well as mobile applications, including remote access to data bases and image transmission – all over one unique network.
- In 2000, Iberia set up a TETRA system from Motorola Solutions to facilitate communications between staff members working at Madrid Barajas airport.
- The system operates in Madrid Barajas Airport, which is one of the main tourist entry points in Spain. In 2010, more than 49 million passengers, representing an average of 136,000 daily travelers, were processed through the airport, which means that reliable and uninterrupted communications are vital to providing the level of services required by demanding users.
- The previous TETRA Dimetra system will be replaced by the latest version Dimetra IP Compact, which includes redundancy and 14 dispatches and logging posts. More than 1,000 terminals and six base stations will be reused, as the Motorola Solutions Dimetra systems are compatible.
- The Dimetra IP Compact TETRA digital radio solution from Motorola Solutions will provide efficient, reliable communications at any time throughout the airport, both indoors and outdoors, with the necessary level of security. At the same time, the solution meets the growing needs for data transmission as well as voice for aircraft operations.
- For Iberia, it is important to sustain high customer satisfaction through efficient aircraft operations. The new IP-based radio system provides a reliable communications solution to ensure efficient management of operations and passenger safety.
Manuel Torres, corporate vice president and general manager, Motorola Solutions EMEA
“More and more airlines and airport operators around the world are looking for efficient and reliable communications to ensure passenger safety. Having been awarded a new contract by Iberia for their operations at Madrid-Barajas airport proves our leadership in both operative and public safety communication systems. This new award in Spain reflects the growing demand for Motorola’s TETRA solutions in the transport market.”
Website: Dimetra IP Compact TETRA Infrastructure
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts