Innovative centre provides Public Safety scenarios that combine LTE mobile broadband and TETRA digital radio for mission critical voice and data enhanced applications
BASINGSTOKE, UK – June 26, 2014 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communications solutions, announces the opening of its industry leading Mission Critical Solutions Centre. This million Euro test lab and live demonstration facility at the company’s European Headquarters in the UK has been created to support the evolution of mission critical communications for public safety organisations.
‘Emergency services respond to terrorist bomb threat’, is just one of many test scenarios playing out at Motorola Solutions’ Mission Critical Solutions Centre. The facility has been designed specifically to address the needs for new applications and services that will support emergency service personnel tasked with delivering Public Safety on our streets in the years to come.
- Mission critical communications are undergoing a significant evolution as governments and public safety organisations begin preparations to add 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) standards-based LTE technology to existing TETRA environments.
- With TETRA Enhanced Data Service (TEDS) early adopters of TETRA already have access to mission critical data services, including situational awareness video. In order to cater for higher bandwidth data applications such as high-definition video, and to support the wider use of data these Public Safety organisations are now looking at refreshing their networks and adding LTE.
- Motorola Solutions continues to work with its partners and standards organisations to ensure that the functionality to support mission critical services is introduced into 3GPP LTE standards. This process has been started and is expected to continue through 2020.
- Since Motorola Solutions’ first demonstration of Public Safety applications over a live LTE network in 2008, the Company has continued to introduce functionality into TETRA solutions enabling inter working and sharing of data across both technologies. In 2013 Motorola Solutions launched the MTS4L, a combined TETRA and LTE base station, and now announces the launch of the LEX755 LTE broadband mission critical handheld device. This process will continue as further changes are introduced to the standards.
- Incorporating a working command and control centre with live TETRA and LTE mobile broadband feeds, Motorola Solution’s Mission Critical Solutions Centre offers the flexibility to support the development of applications and services that deploy both TETRA and LTE together, or LTE as a standalone Public Safety environment.
- The Motorola Solutions Mission Critical Solutions Centre provides a test bed for combining voice and data into familiar mission-critical operations. Data gathering from cameras, smartphones, social media and sensors provides new levels of intelligence for Public Safety agencies, but also generates new challenges. Motorola Solutions’ Mission Critical Solutions Centre supports agencies to realise operations that can manage this increased flow of data and then extract useful intelligence. This can then be applied to meet operational demands, replicated within the facility, such as: incident creation; resource allocation; mobilisation; information analysis and distribution of real time intelligence to manage and then control an incident.
Paul Steinberg, senior vice president and CTO Motorola Solutions
“The combination of TETRA and 3GPP standards-based high speed LTE mobile data networks for mission critical communications will have tremendous implications for the way that Public Safety is delivered in the future. From new devices that securely capture and communicate data, to ingestion and management of new forms and levels of intelligence. What becomes important is the ability to secure a single operational view which can then be successfully communicated in real time for a unified response. Motorola Solutions’ Mission Critical Solutions Centre enables the most useful features from both TETRA and LTE applications in order to generate the next advances in Public Safety.”
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker ‘MSI’. To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom .
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2014 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts