February 16, 2015
Motorola Solutions extends and transforms management of Victorian Government emergency services data network
Melbourne, Australia. – Tuesday, 17 February 2015 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), has signed an agreement with the Victorian Government valued at AUD$41.5 million to extend the management of Victoria’s Metropolitan Data Network (MDN) for an additional two years from March 2015, with an option for two additional one year extensions.
MDN, the first emergency communications network to be procured under a build, own and operate public-private services model in Australia, was first deployed in 2005 and provides secure data communications for Victoria Police and Ambulance Victoria, primarily across the greater Melbourne metropolitan region with roaming capability on to a commercial network to provide coverage beyond the metropolitan area.
The agreement enables Motorola Solutions to support the agencies to stay at the forefront of technology innovation, eventually allowing for a wider choice of devices and applications, including the option to integrate Bring Your Own Device and Application solutions (BYOD and BYOA).
This would be managed without compromising MDN’s highly secure and reliable performance.
The contract also positions the Victorian Government to deliver against a key goal outlined in its Emergency Management Long Term Communications Plan to “Establish a statewide, sector-wide broadband capability.”
- Motorola Solutions originally signed a groundbreaking five-year contract with the Victorian Government in 2003 to design, build and manage the MDN network, providing agencies across the greater Melbourne metropolitan area with direct access to data in the field for the first time.
- Since then, the network has consistently met and exceeded service levels, including stringent availability targets. This level of performance ensures an ‘always available’ service to emergency services agencies.
- This is the second time the contract for MDN has been extended with Motorola Solutions, following a decade of successful service delivery.
- The new agreement will see Motorola Solutions maintain MDN to its current mission critical standards while trialling new and emerging technologies including 4G broadband data and a range of new terminal devices.
- The Emergency Services Telecommunications Authority supports the delivery of MDN through managing the contract and monitoring delivery on behalf of the Victorian Govenrment
- In addition to MDN, Motorola Solutions manages the Metropolitation Mobile Radio network for ESTA and the emergency services agencies it supports. Motorola Solutions designed and built this network and has managed it for the Victorian Government since 2004.
Steve Crutchfield, Managing Director, Motorola Solutions Australia and New Zealand
“We’re delighted that the State of Victoria has once again turned to Motorola Solutions as its partner of choice to help manage MDN to its current, mission critical standards while preparing the service for transformation to a next generation solution.
This agreement further demonstrates our committment to equipping Australian emergency services agencies and personnel with the latest public safety technology solutions, significantly improving their ability to communicate with each other during an incident or disaster. In delivering MDN, we are drawing upon our strong services heritage to provide a highly reliable service that has met stringent levels of service over the past decade. MDN is an essential service for the state that enhances capability in the field and ultimately helps to protect and save lives across the state.”
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) creates innovative, mission-critical communication solutions and services that help public safety and commercial customers build safer cities and thriving communities. For ongoing news, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/newsroom .