Beijing– March 13, 2013 – Motorola Solutions Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a world leader in the development and deployment of Terrestrial Trunked Radio (TETRA) communication solutions, today announced that it has shipped its 2 millionth TETRA digital radio terminal. This milestone was reached in less than four years, half the time it took to reach the first milestone of 1 million units bought by customers.
The increasing rate of shipment for TETRA terminals highlights the accelerating growth of the worldwide user base depending on reliable TETRA digital radio technology and the continued market recognition of Motorola’s pioneering position in the development of innovative TETRA solutions.
The strength and maturity of this market also is reflected in the pace of innovation brought to users. In recent months, Motorola has introduced the TETRA mobile radios, including MTP 3000 series TETRA portable wireless terminal with perfect audio quality, MTP 6000 series portable terminal, which is the world’s first camera-equipped TETRA terminal, as well as the most advanced MTM 5000 series TETRA vehicle-terminal. The new additions are all capable of supporting TETRA Enhanced Data Service (TEDS), a mission-critical, resilient and secure data service compliant with the ETSI TETRA standard. The new devices will ensure that investments made in TETRA today will be able to support data services in the future, which through TEDS provide up to 20 times faster access to back-office applications, such as business intelligence and databases. Meanwhile, all these new terminal adopt the latest technology of radio frequency, with the enhancement of transmitted power and receiver sensitivity for TETRA terminals, the radio coverage of TETRA system has been greatly improved.
The latest customers from around the world who have chosen TETRA radio terminals from Motorola Solutions include Metro Service in Denmark and Bangalore International Airport Limited in India.
- Motorola presented Surrey Police with a trophy to mark the delivery of the 200,000th terminal in November 2003.
- In 2008, tens of thousands of TETRA terminals were deployed at the Beijing Olympic Games, for government, public safety and public transportation.
- In 2009, this is followed by the delivery of the 1 millionth TETRA terminal to the Jordan Armed Forces in 2009.
- In 2010, Motorola Solutions delivered a great quantity of TETRA terminals for Shanghai World Expo and Guangzhou Asia Games to meet needs in public safety, government, airport, metro and ports.
- In 2011, TETRA terminals were widely used by Security Department of Shenzhen University Games.
- To reach the 2 million milestone so rapidly in 2012 shows the increase in demand for TETRA solutions from Motorola Solutions in recent years.
- Motorola´s complete portfolio of TETRA solutions involves infrastructure, terminals, applications and services that are now in use in more than 120 countries worldwide.
- With a heritage of 85 years and a core competence in mission-critical communications, Motorola has a unique history of innovations and experience in the two-way radio industry.
- Motorola is fully committed to the future of TETRA and TEDS as the core of mission-critical communications and is recognizing that its TETRA solutions, when linked with a powerful combination of broadband technologies, multimedia applications and advanced devices, will bring the advantages of broadband to end users.
- Recently in Europe, Metro Service, the operator of Copenhagen Metro chose the Motorola MTP3250 and MTP3200 TETRA radio terminals for their superior audio quality and intuitive user interface. This contract follows a reliable technology partnership lasting more than 10 years where Metro Service has also renewed its Motorola TETRA system in 2012.
Michael Jiang, Chairman and President, Motorola Solutions (China) Co., Ltd.
“We are very proud that more than 2 million users in government and enterprise sectors trust the superior quality of our TETRA radio terminals. We are aware that for many of them this communication tool is their lifeline in mission-critical situations.Therefore our design process is user centered from the beginning, including extensive research with the end users to develop solutions matching their unique needs. Over hundreds of value-added features driven by users have added intelligence, increased efficiency and safety to the radio terminals over the years. We keep adding more features today and in the future. Some examples of these applications are the Call Out function, where with a simple push of a button hundreds of users can answer availability to support in a mission-critical situation, or the Man Down feature, where the device sends automatically an alarm if it is tilted.“
“TETRA radio technology remains the technology of choice for organizations with a need for mission-critical and reliable communications around the world. Motorola Solutions is committed to remaining a leader in this field by bringing further innovations to the market. The next stage is to deliver increased data capability via TEDS to both the radio terminals and collaborative devices.“
Jimmy Jensen, Sector Manager , Metro Service
“We have used TETRA digital radio communications systems from Motorola for over a decade for the communications of our field staff to ensure efficient and safe travels for our 54 million passengers per year in the greater area of Copenhagen. Motorola Solutions has proven to be a reliable technology partner and expert in TETRA. Lately we have renewed our systems with new TETRA infrastructure and radio terminals. The MTP3000 series has been our choice because of its superior and outstanding audio quality and a user interface that is very easy to use.”
Thomas Lynch, manager, mobile radio and aerospace research at IHS
“Based on our research, we see growth trends in regions that are not traditionally TETRA strongholds including North Africa, Australasia, and South America. The Middle East in particular has seen remarkable growth with an increase in shipments of TETRA terminals of over 50 percent from 2010 levels. When we look at sectors and regions, the public safety and security segment remains strong, but we expect to see big growth in transportation and utility markets. Our overall view in all regions is very positive: TETRA is here to stay, and we’re estimating strong growth for the next five years.”
Website: Motorola Solutions
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com.
MOTOROLA, MOTO, MOTOROLA SOLUTIONS and the Stylized M Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Motorola Trademark Holdings, LLC and are used under license. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2013 Motorola Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts