August 20, 2013
LA-RICS Selects Motorola Solutions to Develop Interoperable Public Safety Radio System for the Los Angeles County Region
LOS ANGELES, Aug. 20, 2013 – The Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System Authority (LA-RICS) has selected Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) to develop a radio system that will provide mission-critical communications for the region’s more than 34,000 law enforcement, fire service and health service professionals and more than 80 public safety agencies.
LA-RICS awarded a contract to Motorola, which, if all unilateral options are exercised, will provide for a $280 million, multiyear contract to design, construct, implement and maintain the land-mobile radio (LMR) system. It will feature Motorola’s ASTRO® 25 mission-critical Phase 2 700 MHz and UHF digital radio system to provide coverage throughout the 4,000-square-mile area.
Motorola’s APCO Project 25 (P25) standards-based technology enables real-time interoperable communications to support day-to-day, mutual aid and task force operations. The new radio system also will connect the region’s first responders to regional, state and federal agencies during natural disasters and other widespread emergencies.
- The system’s robust coverage and capacity will provide seamless interoperability for the entire Los Angeles region.
- A modular and scalable design provides long-term usability in response to population growth, added operational requirements and increased communication needs.
- System-wide encryption will enable security against cyber-attacks and allow each member agency to conduct secure operations.
- The P25 Phase 2 system utilizes both UHF and 700 MHz frequencies that provide robust capacity and flexibility on current and future spectrum regulations.
- Implementation of the LMR system is estimated to take five years.
Greg Brown, chairman and chief executive officer, Motorola Solutions, Inc.
“The Los Angeles County region’s enormous size and challenging terrain will benefit from a new interoperable P25 standards-based radio system. We recognize the region places a high priority on supporting public safety agencies and helping them address their unique emergency preparedness and security needs. We appreciate being selected for this project, and are looking forward to putting Motorola Solutions’ experience and know-how to work for the public safety professionals who serve and protect the millions of people in the Los Angeles area.”
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts