BASINGSTOKE, UK – April 12, 2013 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers, is announcing that it won four of the seven categories of the International TETRA Awards and was ‘highly commended’ in a fifth category.
Motorola´s TETRA RF Automated Coverage Evaluation Solution (TRACES) was the only entrant in the awards to win twice, once for “Best TETRA Innovation” and once more in the category “Best Solution for Enterprise.” The “Green Award,” with an eco-friendly objective, was won by Motorola´s Dimetra IP Release 8.x TETRA platform, which offers network operators a simpler and more cost-effective platform to deliver TETRA mission-critical communications to public safety users.
In addition, a further two awards were won by submissions entered by Motorola in conjunction with customers: Resorts World Sentosa from Singapore won the “Best Use of TETRA in Private Industry” category and Shanghai Metro won a Highly Commended Award in the category “Best Use of TETRA in Transport,” raising the total of awards collected on the night by Motorola Solutions to five.
The International TETRA Awards, a collaboration between the TETRA and Critical Communications Association (TCCA) and TETRA Today, are designed to recognise excellence in the field of TETRA radio communications in both mission-critical and business-critical organizations and took place in the London Transport Museum.
- Motorola Solutions´ award-winning TRACES was developed collaboratively by London’s Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and Motorola’s Global Solutions and Services team. The solution was developed to help the MPS gain automatic visibility of black spots on the mission-critical TETRA network, which impacted the ability of Officers to make calls during major events. The MPS also needed the ability to evaluate and analyse network data post-event.
- Motorola Solutions developed TRACES to allow end-user organisations such as the MPS, to automatically collect, visualise and evaluate data from mission-critical TETRA networks via error logs recorded in Motorola Solutions’ TETRA terminals. This allows managers to view usage patterns and quickly identify coverage black spots, enabling them to work with the network operator to enhance performance. Motorola has since evolved TRACES into a solution that allows network operators real-time visibility and data on network coverage and performance issues.
- TRACES is a flexible, easy to install and modular tool that can be customised to mission-critical network operator needs.
- With TRACES in operation, actual network coverage that is being supplied by the network is quickly visible to the operator so when changes occur on the network, operators no longer have to rely on inaccurate predicted coverage maps
- The use of TRACES as an analytical tool can greatly reduce maintenance costs because it reduces the need for regular drive testing in problem areas
About Dimetra IP Release 8.x
- Dimetra IP Release 8.x offers a simpler, more resilient and cost-effective TETRA system for supporting mission-critical voice and data applications, harnessing the advanced capabilities of a new IT server-based platform.
- Dimetra IP Release 8.x users are seeing a reduction of 70 percent in power consumption in switch sites, with a 60 percent reduction in physical space and footprint. The all-IP architecture carries over into the control room with an 80 percent reduction in power possible as the latest IT equipment is used.
- Dimetra IP Release 8.x includes automated system upgrade functionality, which reduces upgrade time as well as the need for specialist and expensive support staff. The new system achieves practically seamless upgrades by reducing service outages by more than 60 percent compared with the previous system release.
John Adams, Head of Radio Services, London Metropolitan Police Service
“TRACES is a perfect example for how user involvement ensures the development of solutions exactly for their needs. We were one of the reasons why it has been developed. Our involvement has led to the creation of a solution from which other organizations around the world can benefit. We are pleased that Motorola has listened to us and delivered the right tool. TRACES has given us tremendous insights into our TETRA network and cost savings. Its recognition at the International Tetra Awards is well deserved.”
Gary Aitkenhead, vice president, Global Services Organization, Motorola Solutions EMEA
“Innovation and customer focus are at the heart of Motorola’s Global Solutions and Services, and it is with great pleasure to see that this is being recognized by users and the industry. Motorola’s TRACES is a prime example of how a complex customer issue has been resolved with outstanding innovation. TRACES has revolutionised the way TETRA networks are monitored and optimised – putting customers in control and giving them visibility to network data that was previously challenging and costly to gain. We are delighted to receive these awards and look forward to building on this momentum over the next few years.”
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts