March 23, 2016
Calling All Public Safety Application Developers
Motorola Solutions offers its Convergence Suite Developer Program to help application developers bridge LMR and broadband
- Motorola Solutions invites software developers from around the world to build the next generation of applications to bridge land mobile radios (LMR) and long-term evolution (LTE) devices
- The Convergence Suite Developer Program already has 100 developers and provides free easy-to-use application program interfaces (APIs) and tools to build workgroup applications that let teams communicate through any device over LMR, broadband and Wi-Fi networks
- Program developer benefits include software development kits, testing resources and online support to help developers quickly create new offerings and add new functionality to existing products
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – March 23, 2016 – Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) invites application developers to join its Convergence Suite Developer Program and create a vibrant future for workgroup software that seamlessly links individuals using different types of devices across different public safety networks.
The program is open to all developers and will foster new applications that help improve work group communications, where teams need to share data between smartphones, radios and other networked devices.
Estimates put nearly 8 million LTE-equipped devices in public safety service by 2020 alongside an installed base of nearly 21 million LMR radios. This presents a robust opportunity for software that makes these devices work better together to improve safety and efficiency.
The Convergence Suite Developer Program helps developers take advantage of the surging number of new devices operating on different networks. With more than 100 developers already in the program, it provides the company’s developers free access to APIs and other tools they need to create and integrate workgroup communication applications running over co-existing LMR and broadband systems as well as LTE-only networks.
Partners can take Motorola Solutions’ application program interfaces to create new products or improve current ones, as well as leverage Motorola Solutions’ Intelligent Middleware services that share voice and data over different networks and on different devices. They can also integrate Motorola Solutions’ messaging and mapping to their applications.
“We are inviting developers to make use of our tools and build the software that will seamlessly connect any device and create new capabilities,” said Jeff Spaeth, vice president of Systems and Software Enablement at Motorola Solutions. “As the worldwide leader in LMR for public safety and commercial use, we are uniquely positioned to partner with developers in building the next generation of workgroup applications to create a smarter, safer world.”
As well as offering a bridge between LMR and broadband networks, Motorola Solutions’ Intelligent Middleware offers developers centralized data for broadband-only deployments such as common group definitions and efficient location management.
Developers who participate in the Convergence Suite program can use the APIs free of charge, test their solutions and receive online support so that they can:
- Increase the value of their LMR applications by quickly adding smartphone and broadband network capability to extend the reach and capability of their applications
- Take their broadband applications and quickly extend their capability to LMR networks
- Develop a common application through the Convergence Suite tools, which they can quickly deploy to different customers regardless of network technology
- Add new functions such as messaging or mapping to an existing application to enhance safety and efficiency to make an application more valuable to a broader audience
Interested developers can see the Convergence Suite results in person at the International Wireless Communications Expo (IWCE) in Las Vegas at Motorola Solutions booth No. 1029 on March 23-24. Developer and Motorola Solutions partner CompassCom.com will be on hand to demonstrate its application that was used successfully during a demonstration event of the LTE system under construction by the Los Angeles Regional Interoperable Communications System (LA-RICS).
Learn more about the Convergence Suite Developer Program
Learn more about Intelligent Middleware
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) creates innovative, mission-critical communication solutions and services that help public safety and commercial customers build safer cities and thriving communities. For ongoing news, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/newsroom .
Find Motorola Solutions Public Safety on Twitter