April 16, 2013
Over 79,000 individuals in Asia Pacific to benefit from Motorola Solutions Foundation grants in 2013
Asia Pacific – April. 16, 2013 – Motorola Solutions Foundation, the charitable arm of Motorola Solutions Inc., will support 30 education and community-building projects in Asia Pacific this year, reaffirming its commitment to the wellbeing of communities where it operates in.
In 2012, the Motorola Solutions Foundation has generously awarded 30 grants in 12 countries across Asia Pacific, including Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Taiwan and Thailand.
Having awarded over 50 grants since 2011, the Motorola Solutions Foundation has been committed to empowering communities in which it operates in. Through these grants, the Motorola Solutions Foundation collaborates with organizations such as universities and public safety agencies to foster programs that aim to improve public safety and support education. The grants allocated in 2012 will help support initiatives this year, and the Motorola Solutions Foundation expects more than 79,000 students, citizens and first responders to benefit from these programs.
- The Motorola Solutions Foundation is committed to the safety of communities and supports first responders who protect citizens around the world. Programs that will benefit in the field of public safety include:
- Australia: The Victorian Crime Stoppers Program - A critical community crime prevention program that facilitates anonymous citizen reporting of criminal activity to law enforcement authorities via the Internet and telephone
- China: A study on countermeasures by Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications – This is a collaborative research project involving graduate students with the aim of to provide practical guidance for governments, enterprises and the general public, enabling contributions towards the development of China’s emergency communication system
- Hong Kong: Scholarships for The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - Merit and need-based scholarships for postgraduate students to develop audio surveillance systems to enhance public safety
- South Korea: Korea Police Mutual Aid Association’s Moto Love Program - To support families of fallen police officers
- Philippines: The National Training Caravan - An advocacy training program to provide practical exercises in emergency response to over 10,000 trainees a year
- Taiwan: Shih Chen University to support workshops on disaster preparedness and financial support for students who study disaster relief.
- Education remains a key focus for Motorola Solutions Foundation in its efforts to inspire students to enter careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). The grants awarded will support partnerships and training programs in relation to STEM and prepare students for the workforce of tomorrow. These include:
- China: Junior Achievement Enterprise Mobility Innovation Competition 2013 organized by Junior Achievement International - A competition that aims to provide students from five universities with the tools, incentives and mentoring support required to create innovative and practical technologies and applications for the enterprise mobility system
- India: Engineering internships for the Foundation for Advancement of Education and Research - To introduce a one-month internship program at advanced engineering institutes, targeted at students from disadvantaged groups
- Indonesia: Angklung Robot for K-12 program by Institute Tecknologi Bandung - To foster new talents in Angklung music by introducing the Angklung robot technology, as well as supporting a competition for Angklung song composition to be played by the robot in K-12 schools in West Java, Indonesia
- Malaysia: Scholarship grants through Universiti Sains Malaysia, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia and Multimedia University Malaysia - To drive research in areas of engineering and sciences
- Sri Lanka: Inter University Enterprise Mobility Development competition provides opportunities for university undergraduates to gain skills and experience in Enterprise level mobile application development and understanding of how these applications help resolve real world problems in different verticals industries.
- Thailand: Tertiary Engineering Education Scholarships for students at Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi - To provide talented students with the opportunity to pursue a complete bachelor to master engineering degree program in RMUTT
Mohammad Akhtar, Senior Vice President, Sales, Asia Pacific & Middle East
“The Motorola Solutions Foundation grants enable people to live their lives in a more connected and meaningful way. The Foundation provides funding to support programs that expand awareness and engagement in communities. The grants have benefitted people in Asia Pacific since 2011 and we aim to further strengthen our community efforts in education and public safety in 2013.”
Matt Blakely, Director of Motorola Solutions Foundation
“The Motorola Solutions Foundation supports educational and charitable initiatives that make communities safer or inspire students to enter careers in engineering or technology. We are proud to partner with these organizations that will to positively impact the communities where our employees live and work.”
About Motorola Solutions Foundation
The Motorola Solutions Foundation is the philanthropic and charitable arm of Motorola Solutions. With employees located around the globe, Motorola Solutions seeks to benefit the communities where it operates. The company achieves this by making strategic grants, forging strong community partnerships and fostering innovation. The Motorola Foundation focuses its funding on public safety, disaster relief, employee programs and education, especially science, technology, engineering and math programming. To learn more about Motorola Solutions’ corporate giving and its Foundation, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/giving
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication products and services for enterprise and government customers. Through cutting-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.”