June 28, 2016
Ohio Sees Future of Broadband-Led First Response
Broadband Day highlights weeklong exercises with police, fire and emergency medical responders using broadband data applications and equipment to enhance safety
- Ohio public safety agencies and Motorola Solutions used Ohio’s private broadband network and smart public safety solutions to demonstrate capabilities of new technologies for public safety
- The exercises showcased how long-term evolution (LTE) devices and applications help first responders be safer and do their jobs more efficiently
- Broadband Day event serves as a preview of how the future National Public Safety Broadband Network (NPSBN) will positively impact public safety
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – June 28, 2016 – The future of broadband-led first response took center stage this month through a series of demonstrations where police, fire and emergency medical services personnel used a private broadband network, special-purpose applications and devices to show how public agencies will leverage new technologies to improve safety and operational efficiency through situational awareness and priority services.
Officials from Ohio public safety agencies, the state’s Multi-Agency Radio Communications System (MARCS) and OhioFirst.Net joined Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) to create five real-world, real-time scenarios that showcased the power of broadband data, devices and applications in everyday public safety. The demos previewed the experience agencies can expect from the network overseen by the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet) as it expands across the country in coming years.
Officials are hosting Broadband Day today to review the pilot project and discuss how the technology presents new opportunities for policing, fire protection and overall emergency response.
Motorola Solutions created the events’ infrastructure and provided applications and devices for the demonstrations as it continues to strengthen its global leadership for long-term evolution (LTE) systems and smart public safety solutions.
“With our deep experience creating LTE solutions and devices that help first responders, Motorola Solutions is the first choice of public safety agencies looking to bring broadband to their users,” said John Zidar, corporate vice president for Motorola Solutions. “These exercises offer ample evidence of the flexibility, versatility and value of these networks and devices, and it has been an honor to put this together for Ohio.”
Motorola Solutions and partner Ericsson provided a fully functional, three-site LTE network in Greene County for the exercises. In addition to priority services and other local control features, the solution allowed users to participate in five operational scenarios that leveraged the existing Ohio MARCS land mobile radio (LMR) network while seamlessly bridging both voice and data across legacy narrowband and broadband networks. The scenarios included:
- Public safety incident testing continuity of patient records
- A hunt for a lost person
- Hazardous material spill response
- Traffic accident and motorist fleeing scene
- Emergency situation with a man down
Broadband Day attendees will have a chance to tour the demonstration network facilities and experience a hands-on demonstration of the innovative tools used in the pilot, interact with commercial partners and vendors as well as have access to the technical experts. Agencies will repeat the emergency situation with a man down scenario as well to show the benefits of real-time information sharing.
Broadband Day details:
- What: Panels, demonstrations and tours of broadband technology infrastructure, devices and scenarios held in Greene County
- When: Today, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. EDT
- Where: Beavercreek Township Fire Department, Station 612195 Dayton Xenia Road, Beavercreek, Ohio.
- Who: Leaders from FirstNet, OhioFirst.Net, Ohio public safety agencies, MARCS and representatives from Motorola Solutions and other vendors involved.
Learn more about:
- Broadband Day
- Ohio MARCS (Multi-Agency Radio Communications System)
- Ohio’s Department of Public Safety
- Greene County
- Motorola Solutions Smart Public Safety Solutions
- Motorola Solutions’ LTE broadband systems
- Motorola Solutions’ LTE devices
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions (NYSE: MSI) creates innovative, mission-critical communication solutions and services that help public safety and commercial customers build safer cities and thriving communities. For ongoing news, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/newsroom .
Follow Motorola Solutions Public Safety on Twitter