February 28, 2012
Motorola Solutions to Give Chicago Students a Boost in Technology-Related Careers by Supporting New Early College STEM School
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – Feb. 28, 2012 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) and the Motorola Solutions Foundation, the charitable arm of Motorola Solutions, today announced a grant to Chicago Public Schools to support one of five Early College STEM Schools (ECSS) offering an increased focus on technology skills and career readiness – as well as the opportunity to earn college credits.
- The Motorola Solutions Foundation will sponsor the Chicago Vocational Career Academy, which will feature a unique curriculum focused on STEM and will incorporate Motorola Solutions employee mentors.
- Each student will be able to graduate in four-years with a high school diploma and college credits.
- Motorola Solutions has a history of supporting STEM education. Through its Innovation Generation program, the Motorola Solutions Foundation has provided more than $25.5 million since 2007 to STEM organization in the U.S.
- Since 2008, Motorola Solutions and Motorola Solutions Foundation have provided $11.5 million in support to educational and charitable efforts in Chicago. The majority of those funds are directed to science, technology, engineering and math education.
- From after-school robotics programs to the Chicago Public School science fair, Motorola Solutions employees also donate their time to STEM organizations in the Chicago area.
Greg Brown, chairman and CEO, Motorola Solutions
“As a company with a history of engineering solutions, we have a first-hand understanding of the value of an education in science and technology, and are thrilled to partner with Chicago Public Schools to help develop a local pipeline of technology leaders. From our commitment to employment in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, to our support of education through the Motorola Solutions Foundations’ STEM funding, we appreciate the opportunity to support our neighbors.”
Mayor Rahm Emanuel, mayor, City of Chicago
“These schools will focus on skills graduates need in the modern workforce and information technology industry. Students will also have the option to earn college credits and complete a six-year program with an associate’s degree. Thanks to the involvement and commitment of our corporate partners, we continue to invest in our schools to equip our students with the skills they need for a successful future.”
For complete details on Motorola Solutions’ philanthropic commitment to education, visit the Motorola Solutions Foundation education website.
Follow the Motorola Solutions Foundation on Facebook and Twitter.
About Motorola Solutions Foundation
The Motorola Solutions Foundation is the charitable and philanthropic arm of Motorola Solutions. With employees located around the globe, Motorola Solutions seeks to benefit the communities where it operates. The company achieves this by making strategic grants, forging strong community partnerships and fostering innovation. The Motorola Solutions Foundation focuses its funding on public safety, disaster relief, employee programs and education, especially science, technology, engineering and math programming. For more information on Motorola Solutions Corporate and Foundation giving, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/giving.
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com.
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts