May 15, 2012
Motorola Solutions’ Rugged Telephone-style Control Head for MTM5400 Enhances Response Teams’ Safety and Incident Management Options
TETRA WORLD CONGRESS, Dubai, May 15, 2012 – Motorola Solutions, Inc (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions, has launched a range of new solutions to enhance its industry leading MTM5400 mobile radio. A new rugged, waterproof, telephone-style control head, together with Ethernet-based dual control head capability, helps transform the safety and operational efficiency of fire service and other emergency response teams.
The new control head is designed to ensure smooth communications in tough environments. The unit combines more powerful audio quality, colour display and secure grip and is IP55-rated to ensure seamless operation even in the wettest and most challenging conditions. Further raising the bar on user safety, the control head has a cradle-mounted rotary knob for better audio control and red emergency call button for quick response in critical situations.
- Outstanding audio performance in the control head and connected speakers improves oral communication.
- Dual control options allow emergency personnel to swap incident control between team members or conduct operations from different points of the vehicle.
- The new control head offers a colour display and known key pad icons easily identifiable for Motorola Solutions TETRA users, thus requiring little learning time.
- The control handset incorporates two push-to-talk (PTT) buttons - a primary TETRA button as well as a second button for optional connection of a rooftop speaker.
- Unlike those on many commercially available control head units, the two PTT buttons are located on the back of the handset, helping prevent team members from inadvertently making a call when reattaching the handset to the cradle.
- The rugged design ensures water resistance (IP55) and durability. The spiral cable is built for daily operations and can be extended to reach outside the vehicle.
- The unit can be quickly installed in the vehicle with the cradle simply attached to the base plate, and the control head offers vertical or horizontal mounting options for angling towards the co-driver’s seat.
- The unit’s smaller installation footprint allows easy installation in crowded environments such as response cars, trucks, fire tenders and pump bays. The control head enables fast and secure connection of PTT radio, loudspeaker and microphone units, enhancing response teams’ personal safety and communication options.
- The new Ethernet interface head on the MTM5400 enables connection of one or two traditional control heads or new telephone-style control heads. In addition the Ethernet based interface ensures a robust interface for voice and control functions even in harsh Electro Magnetic Compatibility (EMC) environments experienced in vehicles such as large fire appliances. The new interface enables control positions to be separated by up to 40 metres.
Iain Ivory, head of TETRA Terminals, Motorola Solutions
“Emergency response services need control head units that enhance user safety, boost operational efficiency and work flawlessly in the most challenging environments. The new, ergonomic, telephone-style control head raises the bar on secure and flexible communications in extreme conditions, while the unit allows teams to quickly deploy loudspeaker and microphones to fully take control of any incident on the ground or easily swap control duties between team members as the situation changes.”
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts