September 12, 2014
Motorola Solutions’ MOTOTRBO™ digital radio network lets sailing enthusiasts race safely at the Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships
Santander, SPAIN – Sept. 11, 2014 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today announced that the Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships, one of the most important events organised by the International Sailing Federation (ISAF), relies on a dedicated MOTOTRBO™ professional digital two-way radio system for clear communications to enhance event management and the safety of competitors at sea.
With Santander 2014 acting as the opening qualification regatta for the Rio 2016 Olympic Sailing Competition, high numbers of ships and sailors are attending, and competition is fierce. In total almost 100 nations and 1,500 sailors are expected to take on the big swell challenge of the Bay of Biscay.
Motorola Solutions has collaborated with the ISAF, to provide the most comprehensive, custom radio network for a sailing competition. Deploying Motorola Solutions’ MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus system with digital two-way radios, the organisers at Santander 2014 are provided with an integrated voice and data communication network able to meet the complex, simultaneous communications demands of this large-scale international event.
From a central control and dispatch centre, organisers can stay in constant contact with all teams with high-quality coverage throughout the eight coastal zones that contain the sailing circuits, encompassing almost 90 km² of sea centred on the Bay of Santander. The system offers increased capacity and via SmartPTT, an enhanced control room solution, the provision of Global Positioning System (GPS) integration, text messaging and voice recording of six simultaneous boat crew calls to safely manage the sailing events.
The network incorporates 140 MOTOTRBO DP4400 and DP4401 radios supplied to the ISAF management teams, which are organised across 15 radio Talkgroups. Providing best-in-class audio and unrivalled co-ordination capabilities, the radios help provide an effective management and control solution. The radios deliver exceptional voice quality, which is important in high winds and the rugged waterproof design means they can survive being immersed in the sea.
The deployed network is not only unique; it is also the most effective in the Cantabria region, ensuring that the Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships, an event of global importance, will be well managed and as safe as possible for all taking part.
- The MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus system created and installed for the ISAF Sailing World Championship is a single-site digital trunking system that maximises the capacity, speed and flexibility of the MOTOTRBO system. This enables a high volume of voice and data communication, capable of supporting more than 1,000 users, providing an effective management and control solution without needing to add new frequencies.
- The network deploys three DR 3000 Repeaters to ensure high-quality communications over wide areas of sea. It supports 15 radio Talkgroups to optimise communications between ISAF management teams and boat crews, delivering greater efficiency and improving race operations. Seven Talkgroups are associated with the competition areas and the rest are deployed for event services managing security, logistic and maintenance.
- The networks support 120 MOTOTRBO DP4400 two-way radios for use by the organisers, with a further 20 MOTOTRBO DP4401 with GPS radios distributed to crews of the organiser’s boats. The radios offer noise reduction software, incorporate an emergency button and are IP57 specified for submergibility.
- For enhanced race management and safety of yacht crews, SmartPTT enables the position of boats to be graphically represented in real time across the eight sailing zones by using the GPS on the DP4401.
- Racing commences in Santander, Spain, on Friday September 12.
Javier Pérez, sales director, South Europe, Motorola Solutions
“Creating a radio network for the Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships has been a challenging task. Delivering on time and to specification was made possible by the close collaboration between the ISAF and Motorola. The organisers now have the best tools to deliver critical tasks more efficiently, communicate better with the teams on land and at sea and make faster, better decisions if incidents happen.”
José Ángel Rodriguez Santos, RFVE president, Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships, director and member of the Organising Committee
“Effective radio communications are essential for the successful operation of the 2014 Championships being held at Santander. We are dealing with hundreds of competing yachts, and thousands of competitors, team members and supporters. The Motorola system exceeds our expectations, and we are very pleased to have the support of the market leader for this event.”
Website: Santander 2014 ISAF Sailing World Championships
Website: Motorola Solutions
LinkedIn: Motorola Solutions
Twitter: Motorola Solutions
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom .
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts