SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – Feb. 21, 2012 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI), a leading provider of mission-critical communications solutions, has been awarded the 2012 iF gold award for product design for the APX™ XE Remote Speaker Microphone (RSM). Part of Motorola’s award-winning APX product portfolio, the RSM was lauded for its unique design and form-factor and is one of 100 gold iF recipients to earn top honor in this year’s international design competition.
- Designed specifically to enhance firefighter communications and safety in extreme conditions, the RSM combines the priorities of mission-critical users with Motorola’s 80 years of experience in ergonomics, design and public safety technology. It is the first RSM for the fire market to feature two microphones, providing exceptional noise suppression for first responders working in extremely loud environments.
- The iF design awards were introduced in 1953 by the German-based iF International Forum Design to recognize outstanding achievement in international design. 2012 marks the first year iF has combined four previously individual design competitions – iF product design, iF material design, iF communication design and iF packaging design – into a single awards program.
- This year’s panel of international judges reviewed more than 4,000 entries from 48 countries and awarded 1,218 products with an iF design award. The top 100 entries were chosen to receive the coveted iF gold award, distinguishing the very best in design.
- Motorola’s RSM was among the 100 iF gold winners honored at the iF awards ceremony in Munich, Germany on Feb. 10, 2012. The event drew more than 1,600 people and took place during Munich Creative Business Week, a week-long program of design-focused exhibitions, workshops and panel discussions.
- Motorola has received iF awards for various products over the years, including the APX XE series radios, but this is the first iF gold award recognition.
- 2012 iF design award winners will be presented at the iF design exhibition in Hannover, Germany, which runs in parallel to CeBIT, March 6-10, 2012. Entries will also be shown at the iF design exhibition in Hamburg, Germany, then travel to China to be presented at the iF design exhibition in Hainan.
Curt Croley, senior director, Innovation & Design, Motorola Solutions
“Throughout the development of the RSM, our designers worked closely with firefighters to understand their needs – conducting interviews, ride-alongs and immersion in hands-on fire training. This direct feedback translated into critical product features, such as dual microphones for extreme noise environments, a strobe light visible in thick smoke, exaggerated controls and a high-visibility, bright Impact Green exterior. The iF competition is known for highlighting product designs that improve the lives of end users, so we’re thrilled to have won gold for a product we partnered with our customers to develop.”
Website: APX Series P25 Two-Way Radios
Website: APX XE Remote Speaker Microphone
YouTube: Motorola’s APX XE Remote Speaker Microphone
Portal: Next Generation Public Safety
Facebook: Motorola Public Safety
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts