July 27, 2011
Motorola Solutions’ APX™ 7000XE P25 Portable Radio Earns Industry Recognition for Excellence in Product Design
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – July 27, 2011 – Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today announced that its APX™ 7000XE P25 portable radio, designed for use by first responders in extreme conditions, continues to earn industry recognition for outstanding achievement in product design by some of the world’s most influential design organizations.
- Most recently, the APX 7000XE radio won Gold in the 2011 International Design Excellence Award (IDEA®) competition from the Industrial Designers Society of America (IDSA), and was featured online at Fast Company’s Co.Design. The IDEA program fosters understanding about the impact of design excellence on the quality of life and the economy. This year’s competition included more than 2,000 entries from 39 countries. Out of 524 finalists, the APX 7000XE radio was one of 27 products to earn gold.
- The Red Dot organization awarded the APX 7000XE radio with its prestigious “red dot” seal for product design in 2011. Based in Essen, Germany, the international award competition recognizes high quality in product design. Winners were chosen among 4,400 entries from 1,700 companies across 60 countries and recognized at the red dot awards gala in July.
- The APX 7000XE radio was also honored with a 2011 iF product design award from the iF Industrie Forum Design Hannover e.V., which recognizes outstanding achievement in international design. The iF award ceremony was held in March in Hannover, Germany, in conjunction with CeBIT, a leading trade show for the digital industry. Nearly 3,000 products from 43 different countries competed for the coveted iF awards.
- In addition, the APX 7000XE radio was named one of 2010's Hot Products by Public Safety Communications (PSC), a monthly magazine published on behalf of the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO) International.
- The APX 7000XE radio is part of Motorola's award-winning APX™ portfolio of mission-critical public safety communications products. Since its introduction in August 2008, APX has been recognized extensively by the design community with a number of awards, including iF Product Design (2009), Australian International Design (2009), GOOD Design (2009), EE Times ACE Awards – Design Team of the Year (2009), IDEA – Silver (2009) and Edison Best New Product Award – Silver (2010).
Behind the Design of APX 7000XE
The APX 7000XE radio is designed for personnel safety in extreme environments, combining the priorities of mission-critical users with Motorola’s 80 years of experience in ergonomics, design and technology for public safety. For the development of the APX 7000XE, Motorola worked directly with firefighters and other mission-critical users from Miami to Malaysia to determine what they needed in a mission-critical radio specifically for their rugged environment. As a result, the radio features all the elements these users requested most – from best-in-class audio and industry-leading ergonomics to advanced features such as intelligent lighting and voice announcement – allowing them to focus on their task and not the technology.
Curt Croley, senior director, Innovation & Design, Motorola Solutions
“Motorola has embraced design as a key differentiator for more than 30 years, and we are very proud of the APX™ 7000XE radio, the reaction from our customers and recognition from the design industry. Not only did the team work with customers to gather feedback, but they also received training in customers’ environments to truly understand, first-hand, what their needs are. Every aspect of this radio was designed keeping in mind high stress, gloved use and impaired senses to deliver a product that allows our customers to excel in the toughest conditions.”
Website: Next Generation Public Safety
Website: APX™ Series
Collateral: APX 7000XE: Designed for Extreme Environments
YouTube: APX 7000XE Radio from Motorola: Built for the Extreme
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts