March 18, 2014
Motorola Solutions and the American Red Cross: A Natural Partnership
SCHAUMBURG, Ill. – March 18, 2014 – What do the Motorola Solutions Foundation and the American Red Cross have in common? It turns out, quite a lot.
Facts about Motorola Solutions and American Red Cross
- Since 2005, the Motorola Solutions Foundation has contributed nearly $5.5 million to the Red Cross.
- Motorola Solutions employees have donated hundreds of thousands of dollars more.
- Motorola Solutions technology supports about 1,000 Red Cross blood drives every day.
- From those blood drives, 15,000 donor records are captured in real-time with improved information accuracy and access. Click here to read about Motorola Solutions’ Healthcare Solutions.
American Red Cross Facts
- The American Red Cross is the nation’s largest blood collection organization, supplying approximately 40 percent of the blood and blood products used in our country.
- Approximately 5.6 million blood donations are collected by the Red Cross each year.
- Roughly 3.3 million generous volunteer blood donors roll up a sleeve each year.
- Each year, the American Red Cross immediately responds to about 70,000 natural and man-made disasters in the US, ranging from fires to hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, hazardous materials spills, transportation accidents and explosions.
Motorola Solutions Foundation’s Financial Support of the American Red Cross
- $100,000 donated to the American Red Cross with an additional $57,000 donated by employees to help provide relief in the aftermath of Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Motorola Solutions also equipped first responders with mission critical communications equipment to assist in disaster recovery efforts.
- $30,500 donated to tornado and storm disaster relief in Oklahoma and Texas with an additional $5,500 by employees.
- $28,700 donated to Mexico storm relief with an additional $3,700 donated by employees.
- $33,700 donated to Colorado flood relief with an additional $8,700 donated by employees.
- $41,400 donated to Arizona Firefighters Fund with an additional $1,400 donated by employees.
- $25,000 donated to the American Red Cross to support relief after July wildfires swept across thousands of acres in Colorado, New Mexico, Montana, Utah, Wyoming and South Dakota.
- $25,000 donated to the American Red Cross for relief efforts after Hurricane Isaac.
- $125,000 donated to the American Red Cross with an additional $25,000 donated by employees to help provide relief after Hurricane Sandy. Motorola Solutions also delivered a few hundred portable radios and batteries to customers in New York City, the New Jersey State Police and the Connecticut State Police.
Recent Motorola Solutions-American Red Cross Programs
- 2014 Ready When the Time Comes Meeting (Chicago) Motorola Solutions Foundation hosted the 2014 Ready When the Time Comes meeting to bring corporate and community partners together to discuss how to train respective audiences on disaster preparedness and response, and how to empower volunteers to mobilize when a disaster strikes.
- Apps for Disaster Management and Response Meeting (Chicago) Meeting designed to develop open source emergency management and disaster relief applications for volunteer disaster responders to replace the use of carbon-paper forms and spreadsheets to manage the services. This helped streamline the process for volunteer responders, allowing them to focus on providing relief instead of managing paperwork.
- 2013 Disaster Preparedness Summit (Chicago) Motorola Solutions Foundation sponsored this event that brought together corporate and community partners to learn about disaster/emergency preparedness and response which included demonstrations of equipment that the Red Cross uses to mitigate disasters.
- 2013 Global Solutions & Services Teambuilding Volunteer Event (Schaumburg, Ill.) More than 40 Motorola Solutions employees engaged in a citizen CPR training, learned about Motorola Solutions and the Red Cross’ support of our veterans, and then assembled comfort kits for veterans at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center in Chicago.
- 2013 Plantation Fire Preparedness Training Sessions (Plantation, Fla.) Motorola Solutions employees in Plantation, Fla., were trained in fire safety and preparedness with the goal of taking this training to at-risk communities in southern Florida in the spring/summer of 2014.
- 2013 American Red Cross Corporate Philanthropy Roundtable (Chicago) Local corporate partners came together to discuss how companies should support disaster response efforts and when to engage leadership as well as communicate with employees and key constituents.
- 2013 American Red Cross Telethon (Chicago) Motorola Solutions Foundation gave $125,000 on CBS-TV to support the Philippines Typhoon relief and other efforts.
- For details on the Motorola Solutions Foundation, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/foundation.
- Follow the Motorola Solutions Foundation on Facebook and Twitter.
- For information about the American Red Cross, visit www.redcross.org.
About Motorola Solutions
Motorola Solutions is a leading provider of mission-critical communication solutions and services for enterprise and government customers. Through leading-edge innovation and communications technology, it is a global leader that enables its customers to be their best in the moments that matter. Motorola Solutions trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker “MSI.” To learn more, visit www.motorolasolutions.com. For ongoing news, please visit our newsroom .
About Motorola Solutions Foundation
The Motorola Solutions Foundation is the charitable and philanthropic arm of Motorola Solutions. With employees located around the globe, Motorola Solutions seeks to benefit the communities where it operates. The company achieves this by making strategic grants, forging strong community partnerships and fostering innovation. The Motorola Solutions Foundation focuses its funding on public safety, disaster relief, employee programs and education, especially science, technology, engineering and math programming. For more about the Motorola Solutions Foundation, visit www.motorolasolutions.com/foundation.
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts