May 14, 2012
Criminals Have Nowhere to Hide with Live Video, Data and Mission-Critical Applications in the Hands of First Responders around the World
TETRA WORLD CONGRESS (Motorola Solutions Booth G301, Sheikh Rashid Hall), Dubai, May 14, 2012 - Motorola Solutions, Inc. (NYSE: MSI) today is leading the way in the development of Public Safety Long Term Evolution (LTE) networks, devices, applications and services with live public safety networks around the globe providing first responders from the Middle East to Hong Kong to Brazil to Texas with the latest broadband tools they need to execute their missions more efficiently and safely.
LTE is the focus of global discussion about next generation public safety technology due to the increasing availability of, and demand for, video, data and other information services for public safety. Motorola, with an 84-year history of providing advanced mission-critical communications, is leading the way in LTE with recent launches of industry-first, commercially available Public Safety LTE, LTE broadband public safety network deployments on multiple continents, the first handheld Public Safety LTE device in the form of the revolutionary LEX 700, and custom end-to-end LTE services to meet the needs of every public safety agency in the world.
As early as November 2008, Motorola demonstrated the first public safety applications over a live 700MHz LTE connection at the International Association of Chiefs of Police conference in San Diego. Since then, the list of industry firsts for Motorola’s Public Safety LTE technology has grown steadily, including:
- July 2010: First LTE customer, BayWEB, a Public Safety LTE broadband network for the San Francisco Bay Area.
- August 2010: First demonstration of Public Safety LTE prioritization and control.
- November 2010: First Public Safety LTE device receiving live broadband video.
- July 2011: First U.S. statewide LTE award from the Mississippi Wireless Communication Commission.
- November 2011: First commercially available, ship-ready Public Safety LTE solution.
- February 2012: First LTE broadband handheld for public safety, the LEX 700.
These firsts tell only part of the expanding story of Motorola’s global Public Safety LTE leadership. Motorola leaders are also providing a strong voice in the Public Safety LTE discussion, advocating for customers and their unique requirements for prioritization, management and control of networks that first responders will use to help ensure public safety around the world.
- Motorola was selected to build the first public safety 700 MHz LTE interoperable broadband networks for the San Francisco Bay Area (BayWEB); state of Mississippi; Harris County, Texas; Irving, Texas; and Fort Worth, Texas, and several Motorola Public Safety LTE broadband network trials and demonstrations are planned or underway around the world, including for Hong Kong and the Brazilian Army.
- The first commercial release of Motorola Public Safety LTE began with shipping on Nov. 11, 2011 (11/11/11). Motorola’s standards-compliant Public Safety LTE core and site equipment provide performance management and control necessary for mission-critical broadband operations. The end-to-end LTE solution includes devices, applications, networks and services.
- Motorola’s Public Safety LTE solution supports a host of public safety applications such as integrated command center applications and other computer-aided dispatch (CAD) solutions, real-time video streaming, tactical collaboration, dynamic mapping and routing, and in-field reporting, as well as push-to-talk and voice telephony.
- The Motorola LEX 700 Mission Critical Handheld is the world’s first handheld Public Safety LTE device. It offers first responders a virtual partner, helping them monitor the environment, gather information and be more aware. With a compact, rugged form factor and quick-response interface, the LEX 700 is designed to provide first and secondary responders unprecedented access to intuitive multimedia applications that increase situational awareness, enhance tactical collaboration and enable greater in-field productivity.
- Motorola is leading the way with LTE services packages that can be customized for any public safety agency, from planning and integration, device and lifecycle management to support and hosting. Motorola Public Safety LTE lifecycle services include hosted LTE cloud core solutions, applications integration and hosting, as well as mission-critical operations centers and emergency response teams experienced in keeping mission-critical communications online.
- Motorola is establishing cooperative partnerships with leading commercial carriers, such as Verizon Wireless in the United States, to accelerate broadband coverage globally.
Bob Schassler, senior vice president, Radio Solutions, Motorola Solutions
“Today we stand at the threshold of unprecedented technological change for public safety communications around the world. Motorola Solutions is proud to be leading the way with Public Safety LTE solutions and services that are fulfilling our vision of next generation public safety data for all first responders. With this leadership comes responsibility, and Motorola is ready to deliver on its global role of helping public safety understand and prepare for the next generation of public safety communications. The world is watching the latest LTE developments, and Motorola is excited to offer LTE solutions to help enhance the safety of first responders and the people they serve in every region.”
Website: Public Safety LTE
Website: LEX 700 Mission Critical Handheld
Website: Public Safety LTE Lifecycle Services
Portal: Motorola Solutions Next Generation Public Safety
White Paper: Real-World LTE Performance for Public Safety
Facebook: Motorola Public Safety
Motorola Solutions Media Contacts