DIGITAL EVIDENCE MANAGEMENT
Learn more about the storage and costs you may need to consider when deploying a body worn camera program.
Number Of Body-Worn Cameras To Purchase
Number Of Officers To Equip With Body Worn Camera
Enter the number of cameras your agency plans to purchase as well as the total number of officers who will be using these cameras (e.g., you plan to purchase 50 cameras that will be shared between 100 officers).
Estimated Price Per Body Worn Camera
Enter the price you expect to pay for your body worn camera equipment.
Camera Recording Resolution
Camera recording resolution refers to the number of pixels in your recording and how they are displayed. A higher number of pixels increases the clarity of recordings and progressive (p) recordings versus interlaced (i) reduces blur; however as resolution increases so does the amount of storage you need.
Average Recording Hours Per Officer Per Work Day
Enter the number of hours you expect officers to record on average during their shift. Recording hours will vary based on agency camera activation policy. Many agencies find this number generally ranges between 1 - 2 hours per shift.
Required Retention Period In Months
Enter the number of months your agency is required to retain all recordings.
Percentage Of Recordings To Be Kept Indefinitely
Certain recordings may need to be held for an indefinite period of time.
Total Number Of Licensed Users
Monthly License Fee Per User
Enter the total number of licensed users and the per user fee for both the storage and management of your body worn video.
Assuming a frame rate of 30 frames per second leading to the following storage requirements in gigabytes per hour.
- 360i - .9 GB/hr
- 360p - 1.8 GB/hr
- 480i - 1.2 GB/hr
- 480p - 2.4 GB/hr
- 720i - 1.8 GB/hr
- 720p - 3.6 GB/hr
- 1080i - 2.7 GB/hr
- 1080p - 5.4 GB/hr
Total Storage Required
TOP 10 BENEFITS OF CLOUD:
1. REDUCED OVERHEAD No on-premise installations required
2. PREDICTABLE COSTS No large upfront expenses required; pay based on the number of users
3. INCREASED TIME TO VALUE No installation and data virtualization
4. EASY, ON-DEMAND ACCESS Increased data availability to multiple users throughout your agency
5. FLEXIBLE Eliminate time-consuming computing and storage resources with the ability to instantly scale
6. TOPTIER SECURITY Always stay up to date with the most advanced security compliance requirements and policies
7. DATA REDUNDANCY All your data is secured across multiple geographically separated sites with on-demand access
8. CUTTING EDGE HARDWARE Eliminate expensive and time-consuming hardware upgrades and be ready for the latest available technologies
9. ELIMINATE IT CHALLENGES Minimize your need for complex network resources, connectivity, cooling and datacenter space
10. FOCUS ON YOUR MISSION Cloud computing allows you to focus on what you do best and offset IT needs to trusted operational partners
TOP 10 FACTORS TO CONSIDER ABOUT A BODY WORN CAMERA PROGRAM:
- 1. Are you able to store multiple sources of data with your cloud solution?
- 2. Are you able to integrate CAD and RMS data with body-worn camera footage? What are the associated costs?
- 3. How does adding another device for your officers affect their workflow?
- 4. Do you have the resources in place to handle FOIA requests and redaction?
- 5. What is the opportunity cost of IT time spent supporting your system?
- 6. Does your solution meet CJIS requirements for storage?
- 7. Are you able to scale resources and storage capabilities as your needs change?
- 8. What measures will you put in place to ensure redundancy?
- 9. What training programs will you need to implement to ensure all users know your agency's policies around recording and retention.
- 10. How will implementing body-worn devices impact your network infrastructure? Are you ready?